Apr 4, 2012

Helmut Newton

Some days ago I went to see the exhibition of Helmut Newton's work at the Grand Palais. Though he's dead, his name remains one of the big ones in fashion, with his historic photos.

Yves Saint Laurent, rue Aubriot, 1975 Paris
"Some people's photography is an art. Mine is not. If they happen to be exhibited in a gallery or a museum, that's fine. But that's not why I do them. I'm a gun for hire."
Those were his words (Newsweek,2 February 2004), and I find it interesting that he tried not to retouch or alter his works, but captured things in motion, thereby creating an effect of their own:

Grand Hotel du Cap, Marie Claire, 1972
Karl Lagerfeld 1976, Paris
I also like that most of his photos are in black-and-white.

Elle 1969, Paris
Elle 1969, Paris
"The "Big Nudes" began in 1980 and were inspired by police identity photos of German terrorists. I intermittently made 21 of these images until 1993." (Autobiography, Duckworth, Londres, 2003)
His photos are also known to be provocative and erotically charged.

Crocodile, Ballet de Pina bausch 1983, Wuppertal
Mario Valentino 1998, Monte-Carlo
"I photograph the people I love and admire, the famous and especially the infamous." (Work, Taschen, Berlin, 2000)

Elizabeth Taylor 1985, Los Angeles
Comme Jackie O., Vogue France. 1970 Paris
Magaret Thatcher 1991, Anaheim California
I love so many of these photos, I wish I had them as my personal belongings...but then I also wish I had a pony (haha). Pardon the pictures I took, my phone does his work no justice, but I had to share them.
Damie...xoxo

2 comments:

Andrea said...

great on curating these images together.

-art a la rue

lesapeamusings.blogspot said...

I love the images thanks for sharing.
He was and still is brilliant.
Lisa x